Being A Recipient
At Androcryos we do not pretend that artificial insemination is an easy or light-hearted solution for everyone, we are also aware that family structure and make-up varies across our multicultural country, continent, and globe. We want everyone to feel equally welcome, supported, and accepted.
Artificial Reproductive Techniques (ART)
- Intra Uterine Insemination (IUI)
- In-Vitro Fertilisation (IVF)
- Intra-Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
As an andrology laboratory and sperm bank, we cryogenically freeze and store sperm for use in artificial reproductive treatments. IUI procedures can be done at our facility on request from your practitioner.
You should always contact your Gynaecologist when considering artificial reproductive treatments, in order that he/she can refer you to a suitable IVF centre if needed.
There are many factors that need to be considered before starting your treatment. Every patient is different and requires a different approach. It is therefore imperative that your specific circumstances are reviewed. Together with your practitioner you will arrive at the most accurate diagnosis and get the right treatment plan for you, giving you the best chance at reproductive success.
What Is Artificial Insemination (AI)?
A sperm specimen is artificially administered to the uterus to maximise the success rate of fertilisation. An intra-uterine insemination catheter is used to transfer the sperm into the uterus.
Can HIV-infected Semen Be Used?
Where the male partner is HIV positive, and the female partner is HIV negative, a sperm wash is done prior to insemination or cryogenic freezing. Although the washing and freezing of sperm has adverse effects on sperm count, it does eliminate the HIV virus.
Recipients engaging in fertility treatments, or seeking sperm donors.
Sperm donations can be provided by known partners or friends or individuals selected by recipients, or they can be selected from our database of anonymous and non-anonymous sperm donors
Known partners or individuals can have their sperm preserved with Androcryos for any stipulated period of time, ready for use during artificial insemination procedures.
Anonymous Sperm Donors
We aim to provide a selection of anonymous donors that is representative of all races, cultures and origins. As a sperm bank we constantly seek out sperm donor candidates, and urge those who understand the need for sperm donation to encourage their male partners, family members, and friends to step forward and contemplate sperm donation as a service to those who are faced with limited fertility options.
To protect our sperm donor’s anonymity, Androcryos only lists basic physical attributes and interests in a publicly available Donor Data List.
Non-anonymous Sperm Donors
Non-Anonymous or open donors are available through our international sperm bank referral network. Should you wish to investigate this option, please feel free to contact us or review the Non-Anonymous donors on our Donor Data List.
Physical & Genetic Well-being
Each sperm donor is carefully screened for physical and genetic well-being, and is taken through a series of tests that target known diseases and chromosomal disorders. Only once a donor is cleared as a suitable candidate, are they admitted to the Androcryos sperm donor program.
Import & Export
There are many tests and procedures to complete to ensure the quality of sperm before candidates are approved to the donor program. To offer access to a greater gene pool, we import and export on request to private individuals and clinics. Main countries of import and export are America, Europe, Africa and Australia. Due to logistics, customs, and additional administrative processes, imported sperm is more expensive.
Once a sperm donor has been identified, the artificial insemination process is a simple procedure that will occur during ovulation over three separate sessions at a venue of your choice.
Falling pregnant is not always as easy as it seems. Battling issues of infertility can be particularly traumatic and emotional. At Androcryos we are intimately familiar with the joys and struggles of wanting to give birth to a child.
Fertility Clinics & Egg Donor Services in South Africa A comprehensive list of clinics in South Africa for insemination procedures and fertility treatments. This list includes egg donor services.
South Africa’s legislation on human tissue donation An informative article on where we stand legally in South Africa when it comes to human tissue donation, of which sperm donation forms a part.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Are sperm donor candidates screened for HIV? As with all other infectious diseases, our sperm donors are screened for HIV, and are not permitted to participate in the donor program if tested positive. Sperm donors are tested routinely and re-tested six months after exiting the donor program. Only at this point will sperm donor samples be cleared and released for use in insemination procedures.
How many children are allowed to share the same sperm donor? Currently one sperm donor is allowed to result in six successful pregnancies and subsequent live births within South Africa. This legislation is being re-visited, and will probably increase to ten. On a global scale, this number increases to two hundred. This reduces the risk of consanguinity – when donor children inadvertently meet and have their own children.
What are the possibilities of having multiple births? If stimulated with super ovulation medication, there’s an 80% chance for a single child, a 14% chance for twins, and a 6% chance for triplets or more.
Can donor children run the risk of unknowingly dating a biological sibling? Yes, it is referred to as consanguinity, there is always a risk. If you are unsure, a DNA test will confirm whether biological/genetic relations exist. If related, couples run the risk of increased birth defects in their offspring.
My partner had sperm stored, and has since passed away – can I use his sperm for another pregnancy? – The specimens have been left to you in his Last Will and Testament
– The donor indicated so on his Cryopreservation
I want to be the only recipient of a specific donor, can this be arranged? Androcryos does accommodate instances where one individual would like to claim all the sperm of a chosen donor. Be sure to raise the issue with us, and we will inform you of the correct procedure.
Can single women and same sex couples request donor sperm and artificial insemination procedures? Yes – Androcryos does not get involved with decisions around family unit structures, or choices regarding issues of parenting. LGBT couples are within their constitutional right to have children (Sec 23/26 of the Constitution of South Africa).
What is a surrogate mother? A woman who carries an embryo full term on behalf of another couple. Once the baby is born, this surrogate mother gives up her parental rights, allowing the couple to raise the child as their own.
Can LGBTQI couples become parents via surrogate mothers? Androcryos supports any couple who wishes to bring a child into the world via a surrogate mother, but has found it extremely difficult to find women willing to assist with carrying the pregnancy to term in these instances. LGBTQI couples are encouraged to approach women within their community who are understanding and supportive of their wish to start a family.
Can you assist in finding surrogate mothers? We provide information and links to resources that accommodate this process, but we do not engage with the surrogacy process ourselves.
Do you freeze eggs/oocytes? No, we do not freeze eggs. Frozen eggs/oocytes are sent to us for storage and safe keeping, once the fertility doctor has completed the freezing procedure.
Do you freeze embryos? No, we do not freeze embroys. Frozen embryos are sent to us for storage and safe keeping. Fertility clinics specialise in cryogenically freezing embryos. Androcryos can refer you to a suitable in-vitro fertilisation clinic to arrange for the freezing process.
EGG DONOR SERVICES
The Sunshine Agency egg donor program N. Enstrom, R. Walsh Cape Town, Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth, Durban, & Pretoria
+27 (079) 892 8192 www.thesunshineagency.co.za
Consultation rooms & fertility clinics
Androcryos provides session and treatment rooms to Practitioners. These rooms are equipped with Ultrasound machines. All the equipment is available on site in order for such a Practitioner to perform basic IUI procedures.
Can I artificially inseminate myself at home?
Home inseminations have been discontinued for the following reasons:
- Traceability of donor offspring
- General lack of experience to perform the procedure
- Risk of anaphylactic shock
- Inability to treat/assist the recipient should an emergency situation develop
Artificial insemination procedures
As a recipient you can elect which insemination procedure you wish to engage with through guidance from your health care professional, or one of our consulting doctors or senior medical technologists.
The following procedures would be considered based on the advice of your fertility specialist:
Aspiration: This procedures involves removing the eggs from the ovary via a minimally invasive surgery / laparoscopically, and fertilising it with the introduction of a sperm sample outside the body in a test tube.
IVF: In-vitro fertilisation A harvested egg is fertilised with sperm under a microscope. If the incubation is successful, the fertilised egg is returned to the uterus.
ICSI: Intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection A single sperm is injected into a single egg cell in order to precipitate fertilisation.
What are the success rates? Global success rates of 25% regardless of type of treatment are recorded. These success rates vary from clinic to clinic for the following reasons:
– Age of the recipient
– Individual patient profiles
– Reason for infertility